Friday 18 October 2013

English modal verbs with examples


Modals are helping verbs that do not change according to the tense and are always in the base form. Modals or modal verbs are those special verbs that do not follow the typical rules of the English grammar and hence behave in an irregular manner. Their main purpose is to give additional information about the function of the main verb that follows them. They are followed by the main verb, which is always in the base form.  Modal Verbs are usually followed by an infinitive without ‘to’. 

There are 10 common modal verbs in the English language: can, could, may, might, will, would, must, shall, should and ought to. Let’s discuss some of them.



1.       Can: It is used to show the ability to do something in present or future. It is also used for making requests and taking permissions. For example:
-          I can drive a car.
-          Can I go to the park?


2.       Could: It is used to show the ability to do something in the Past and also for making polite requests. For example:

      -          I could run very fast when I was young.

-          I could study a lot when I was in school.

-          I could do a lot of work few years back.

-          Could you pass me the salad?

-          Could you please meet me at 10?

3.       Would: It is basically used in conditional sentences to talk about any real or unreal situation that might take place in Present or Future. It is also used to ask questions. For example:

-          When I grow up, I would earn a lot of money.

-          I would become a doctor.

-          What would you like to have for lunch?


4.       Should: It is used to give command, advice, and recommendation, assign duty and to talk about something which is likely to happen. For example:

-          You should not smoke so much.

-          It’s raining outside. You should take an umbrella.

-          You should consume this product within the next five days.

5.       Must: It is used to show some necessity in the present or future. It is also used to make suggestions and recommendations. For example:

-          You must not drive that fast.

-          You must wear seatbelt while driving.

-          You must participate in the competition.

-          You must watch this movie.


6.       May: It is used to talk about a possibility, to ask permission in formal settings and to give permission. For example:

-          I may be a little late due to heavy traffic.

-          May I sit here?

-          May we dance?

-          Yes, you may.


7.       Might: It is also used to talk about a possibility (though less possible than ‘may’) and also to make a hesitant offer. For example:
-          He might come today.
-          Might I help you?


8.       Will: It is used to wish, request, demand, order, predict, decide, assume, make a promise and to talk about a habit. For example:
-          Will you give me that book?
-          I will rain tonight.
-          I will stop drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment